Skip to main content

Dem mayor torches DNC in scathing letter for 'abandoning' Black voters after convention snub
https://ift.tt/iHTyMr7

Atlanta's Democratic Mayor Andre Dickens launched a scathing attack on the Democratic National Committee's leadership Thursday, accusing party leaders of turning their backs on Black voters and the South after the DNC excluded the city from its shortlist to host the 2028 presidential convention. 

"The DNC continues to make the wrong choices," Dickens wrote in a scathing letter obtained by Fox News Digital, singling out DNC Chairman Ken Martin after party officials narrowed their convention search to Boston, Denver and Philadelphia.

Dickens’ rebuke echoes an argument other southern Democrats have pressed on the national party in recent months: that Democrats cannot afford to take the South — and particularly its Black voters — for granted heading into 2028. South Carolina Democratic Party Chair Christale Spain declared last month, amid debate over the party’s presidential primary calendar, that "the South is not the past, it is the future," while Democratic chairs from five other southern states previously warned the DNC against sending Black voters the message that their loyalty is "taken for granted."

"They are afraid to leave their comfort zone and blind to the fact that the South is the answer. They are abandoning Atlanta, abandoning the South, and once again abandoning Black voters," Dickens wrote in his letter. "Atlanta has not hosted a convention in nearly 40 years. One party has chosen the South to host their convention, and the other has chosen the same region over and over again. This isn’t by accident. It’s an intentional choice."

JASMINE CROCKETT WARNS DEMOCRATS ARE TOO FOCUSED ON WHITE VOTERS, IGNORING BLACK VOTERS

The DNC declined to comment specifically on Dickens’ letter when reached by Fox News, but pointed to the party’s broader efforts in the South and provided a statement from Martin about the convention selection process.

"The 2028 Democratic National Convention will be an inspiring celebration of our party’s future nominee, and a critical step on Democrats’ path towards retaking the White House," Martin said. "Boston, Denver, and Philadelphia all presented incredibly strong bids to host the convention, and we look forward to continuing to work with them as the DNC makes a final selection in the coming months."

JAMES CARVILLE BLASTS FAR-LEFT 'WHITE TURDS' AMONG DEMS WHO HE SAYS VALUE LENIN MORE THAN MLK

The party also pointed to its recent decision to place South Carolina first on its 2028 presidential nominating calendar. The full DNC voted last week to begin the six-state early window in South Carolina on Jan. 22, 2028, with Virginia closing out the slate. In announcing the calendar, the DNC emphasized its racial diversity and cited Census data showing roughly 4.6 million Black people live across the six early states.

Meanwhile, the DNC announced Thursday that Boston, Denver and Philadelphia had advanced as the three remaining contenders to host the Aug. 7-10, 2028 convention, eliminating Atlanta and Chicago from a five-city field. The Democratic National Convention Committee will now undertake a contracts and logistics review of the three finalists, with the process expected to continue for several months before a final selection is made.

REPUBLICAN PARTY TO HOST HISTORIC MIDTERM CONVENTION IN DALLAS, TRUMP ANNOUNCES ON TRUTH SOCIAL

A DNC official said factors considered during the site visits and selection process included the ability to forge partnerships with local community, political and business leaders; operational and logistical capacity such as arena size and hotel availability; fundraising capability; and whether a city shares Democratic values.

DNC leadership and representatives of the party’s Technical Advisory Group visited Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Denver and Philadelphia in April and May after the five cities advanced from the initial application process. Atlanta had aggressively pitched itself as both a capable convention city and a strategically important Democratic foothold in the South. DNC officials toured State Farm Arena and the Georgia World Congress Center during an April visit to the city. Atlanta, which also lost out to Chicago for the 2024 convention, has not hosted the Democratic gathering since 1988.

"At a time when Trump and the Supreme Court are minimizing Black electoral power we need a party that would come to Atlanta and galvanize the Southeast for 2028 and beyond. Real leaders produce for the present and the future," Dickens continued in his letter. 

"This was an opportunity for Ken Martin and the DNC leadership to show they have a thoughtful plan for the party and know how to win the White House in 2028. But instead they are running scared and retreat to their safe spaces. I’m ready for Democratic leadership that understands what every Democratic voter already knows: that this is a moment that demands we run toward battles and into the fight."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAA approves the first fully automated commercial drone flights, letting Massachusetts-based American Robotics operate its drones in rural areas below 400 feet (Wall Street Journal) https://ift.tt/3oQGbvc

Wall Street Journal : FAA approves the first fully automated commercial drone flights, letting Massachusetts-based American Robotics operate its drones in rural areas below 400 feet   —  American Robotics granted permission to operate drones without hands-on piloting  —  U.S. aviation regulators have approved …

Brazil says Huawei won't be a supplier on its upcoming 5G and private federal network bid, but is not barred from operating elsewhere in the country (Angelica Mari/ZDNet) https://ift.tt/3qIP4r5

Angelica Mari / ZDNet : Brazil says Huawei won't be a supplier on its upcoming 5G and private federal network bid, but is not barred from operating elsewhere in the country   —  The Chinese firm is not considered to be apt to supply equipment to the government's own set-up, to be built by the winners of the upcoming 5G auction.

Fujitsu eyes 20 potential M&A targets as part of a five-year $5.8B plan aiming to strengthen its digital services and capitalize on US-China trade disputes (Kana Inagaki/Financial Times) https://ift.tt/3htYmnJ

Kana Inagaki / Financial Times : Fujitsu eyes 20 potential M&A targets as part of a five-year $5.8B plan aiming to strengthen its digital services and capitalize on US-China trade disputes   —  Shortlist is part of investment push to hasten group's pivot to digital services  —  Fujitsu has drawn up a shortlist …